Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Beauty and the Beast

I'm posting this late Tuesday night, because tomorrow, on Wednesday, I will be up to my behunkus (ma butt) in small children and do-gooding at school. (It also sort of goes with the Sprawling Rant, so there ya go!)

Ok, ha-hum. Hah-hum...(clearing my throat) (oh right, like you don't need to ever get into the mood- What. Ever.) (and yes, Bea, I'm making the finger gesture you have coined, right now!)

I love Fall! It is really my favorite season, in spite of being so close to the hectic (and depressing) mayhem of Christmas. Sometimes it seems we are in such a hurry to get on to Christmas, that we miss the whole Fall thing.

Before the kids were in school, we could go for morning walks and watch the seasons change a little bit every day. We still do some of that, but its on the drive to school instead (see my post about the pond shot).

This picture is the view from my backyard. I love the crimson of the maple tree as it peeks from behind the stubbornly still-green pecan tree. Its been too dry for the really dramatic colors this year, but the maples can always be counted on to make the best show.

I missed this old tobacco barn when I got out and shot some stuff nearby, was it last week? After talking about it with the Big Gorilla Man, who also liked this place, I decided to go back and get a shot of it. It's going to fall in anyday now, it would seem, and with the fabulous colors of the trees, it was just so beautiful. I'm sure it won't be long before this old barn is razed, and yet another cookie-cutter subdivision takes its place.

Deep Sigh...my cute little town is rapidly disappearing, and being replaced with some generic "Edge City" that has no soul, no history, no pride in itself. It is no longer the small town where everyone was friendly and knew each other. Its very sad to me - if I had the means, we would be long-gone.

Ok, I promise to "hang by the neck" all day on Wednesday, "until I CHEER UP!"

4 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

I love Fall, too, and agree...too fast of a spiral toward The Big Holidays.

Great photos.

FairiesNest said...

Could be worse...think about what I'm doing today! And yes, yesterday was just as bad as I thought it would be...

BOSSY said...

Oy, and the new structures in Edge Cities are always named after the things they ripped out to build them: Weeping Willow Industrial complex, Shady Knoll Shopping Plaza...

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Nice picture of the back yard, it almost looks landscaped. ;)