Monday, November 26, 2007

Things to Do On Black Friday

We took a drive out to Raven Rock State Park on Friday to go for a hike; maybe walk a few turkey-pounds off. We've never been there before, and thought it might be fun to check it out.
We passed many old farms, and I was compelled to commit a few drive-by shots. Looks like the cotten is done in this field.
I loved the colors of the trees behind this old barn. My mother, who is from up north, would say this isn't a "proper" barn, but you see this kind a lot around here, and I love how they hug the ground.Wonderful old house with a tin roof, rusted...could this be the B-52s' "Love Shack"???
Beautiful old house in "downtown" Lillington. Its still such a small town - I'm kind of jealous.
Mom knocks a few heads...nah, not really. But you can't see my butt when its tucked up in this crevice!
A pensive moment for "Lord Monkey" by the riverside.
(Don't ask, I have NO idea why he calls himself that)
The Hamasaurus in his natural habitat. The cave wall was so enormous that I had to shoot from underneath to give it any scale. Who knew there were such humongous rock formations this close to the coastal plain?
Raven Rock was a great place for nature compostitions. This was a symphony of yellow.
We all loved the roots of these two trees, juxtaposed near the cliff wall. They squiggle down from the trees like a mass of serpents. Very creepy, but very cool.
The view from the overlook. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might, given the state of our current drought, but you can still see the large expanse of exposed shore. This is far creepier than the snake roots - seeing our river dry up.

All in all, a great way to spend "Black Friday", in my opinion. We loved Raven Rock - it was so beautiful and woodsy, and far more rest-for-the-soul than fighting the crowds at the malls. Fuhget abowt it - I'm shopping on the internet and staying away from the dens of insanity. If you live nearby and would like to visit Raven Rock, here is a map:

No comments: